Question: 4 yr. old - continously sick since Sept. 2007

balat0520 - Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:19 pm

Hello... my daughter has been sick continously since September of 2007. She's got Asthma and is taking the Flovent and the other one with blue coloured cilinder. She's been on this since about Winter of 2007. Since Sept. she's been sick a lot. Fever, cough and cold. She's had a total of 16 days absent from school from Sept. to January 2008. I know it's normal for children on their first year of school to be sick all the time. I just want to know if this is really the norm. I've gone to her doctors I don't know how may times since Sept. The doctor has done some culture test for strep but nothing else. Should I presure for her to do more test? What should I be looking for in my daughter signs wise that should concern me. She's already been off two days last week and she will again miss school tomorrow because she's got a fever now. We are in Ottawa, Canada if our location helps. I have no idea what else to tell you, I am just very concerned that we may be missing something that staring us right in the eyes. Please ask me any questions that may help you and determining what actions I should take. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:06 pm

First of all it is critical that you have a good relationship with your daughter's pediatrician. She may not have anything except just a very susceptible body with perhaps a weakened immune system, but it is important you feel comfortable talking with her doctor. If you don't feel you have this relationship, seek another opinion.

I don't recommend telling your doctor what to do, but rather, I would encourage you to explain very clearly your concerns, identifying all factors you know about, including the school days missed, any symptoms, whether or not they seem to be related to her asthma, if anything seems to trigger the illnesses or if there is a pattern. Keeping good records can go a long way towards helping the doctor to diagnose her properly.

If the doctor feels there is something suspicious, he/she will know what tests would be indicated. I'm sure some blood work will be involved as well as urinalysis and general physical exam. Sometimes in spite of all our best efforts we still are unable to find a name for the condition but if the serious concerns are ruled out, at least we know it is probably just a propensity toward frequent viral illnesses and her body is developing the immune system as it fights these germs.

Make sure your daughter eats a balanced and healthy diet, rich in fruits and vegetables for their vitamin C and other valuable contributions. She should also be well-hydrated.

I cannot overemphasize the importance of communicating with the doctor. Mothers know a lot and need to be heard. Labs and tests are only part of the picture and they do not answer all the questions. If she has an immune disorder of some kind, you might be able to help your daughter to avoid situations which spread infection easily. I wonder if you might consider trying home schooling for a time to see if her health improves without the daily exposure to the other children. This alone would be insightful information for the doctor.

I'm sorry I can't help any more than this. Good luck on this journey. I do hope you are able to get answers or at least find out there is nothing in particular wrong and you can adapt the best you are able.

|