News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: My month old son has a soft pea sized bump

newmommyagain - Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:01 pm

My son is a month old today. I noticed a soft small pea sized lump on the back of his neck/head. It is even with his ear lobe on the base of his skull. When i touch it it moves and is soft. It is the same color as his skin. I was told that it could be a Lymph Node but not sure since i was also told that they are usually hard to the touch and my sons is soft and moves when touched. I cant get into his doctor until thursday the 16th. It doesnt seem to bother him at all when it is touched. There is no change in his behavior or eating pattern. What could this be?

Sincerely concerned and worried, Brandy
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am sorry we did not get to your question sooner. By now I'm sure you have seen your child's physician. I would also have guessed this is a lymph node. The body is full of them - the neck in particular. These come and go as the baby's immune system fights infections. Keep us updated if you have new information, please. Good luck - parenting certainly requires plenty of on-the-job training.

Best wishes,
Debbie
 Priya_bala - Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:26 pm

i have a 2 and year old daughter who is perfectly healthy,but we noticed a small lump in her neck right under where the men would have the adam's apple.about 3 months ago but ignored it.....now since it is still there we are worried...it is soft to touch and mobile.we went to her pcp ,she suggested it would be a lymph node or cyst and asked to take an appointment with ENT surgeon which is not until 1st of october'08...my daughter doesnt seem to be bothered about this lump,i mean she has regular eatiing habits,and gaining weight regularly.and active....but the lump is still there...i am scared to death .and i have to wait a month to see the ent .people here talk about the lymph nodes .the position of the lump she got,,,,,is it the area for lymph nodes?(right under the adam's apple).please help me with some answers.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course I understand your concern but I don't think this will be too long to wait. I suspect your doctor doesn't feel it is anything of an emergent nature or she would have arranged for you to get in sooner and would have made sure it happened. Most of these things should be evaluated but taking a little time here is not likely to cause any problem for the outcome. Try to be patient. I know this is hard when you are talking about your child. Try to also be relaxed with your child about it.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here