News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Swelling on left side of neck

rana_ashok - Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:48 pm

today i noticed Swelling on left side of neck under the ear of my six months old son. on consulting Dr he told to consult a senior Surgeon who will help us. Can somebody guide us what is it ? How my son contracted it and what is the treatment of it?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 pm

User avatar Hello-

There are so many possible causes of such a swelling, most of them quite benign, that it is impossible to do more than hazard a guess from a distance this way. However, it sounds very much like a swollen parotid gland, one of the lymph glands which lies directly in the carotid chanel beneath each ear. These often will swell (as will other lymph glands) because of a transient infection. Sometimes one is also just naturally larger than the complimentary one. Still, especially in the case of small children (who cannot offer their input) it is wise to have it checked by a doctor. While there are potentially more serious causes for something like this as well, if your son doesn't seem ill then it probably isn't a serious issue, but again, since the child can't offer much information (other than exhibiting a fever or other signs of infection) it's best to have the doctor look at him. Hopefully by now that's been done and all is well.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:16 pm

User avatar Hi Rana_ashok,

I would agree with John that this is probably a reactive lymph node. The area you are describing is quite full of lymph nodes and they commonly swell when fighting off an infection (even if there are no symptoms-which means the immune system is doing its job).

However, as John said, we cannot make a diagnosis over the internet so it is best to have it checked out.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here