Question: Lump on toddler's spine?

skimom - Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:22 pm

While rubbing my 15 month old's back, I noticed a lump on one of his vertebrae. It's a little lower than his mid-back--not sure if it would be consider his lower thoracic or upper lumbar area. It's the part of the spine that curves outward if he bends over. One of the vertebrae protudes more than the others. It's noticeable when touching it. It feels larger than--sticks out more and is wider--that the one above and one below it. Also, it sticks out can be seen when he is bending forward a little. Does this sound normal?
(He is not walking yet. He cruises well and takes a few steps, but that is all.)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:30 pm

User avatar Hi Skimom,

This may simply be some variation of that particular spinous process (the part that sticks out so we can see it). I would recommend having your pediatrician take a look a this when your son is in next for an evaluation. If it actually appears there is something more than a simple variation going on, he can be referred to a spine specialist for further testing.

|