News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Large Blisters on Baby Infant

mikefusion - Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:12 pm

My three week old niece was admitted to the children’s hospital with some large blisters on her hands. So far, she’s had no fever, her white blood cell count is normal, and all bacterial cultures and spinal taps have been negative. We have the pediatric staff stumped. She had a couple small blisters (pimple-size) form on her hands and feet about three days ago. Several grew to pencil-eraser size and burst. One on her index finger grew much larger and threatened to cover her entire finger. She has a few other tiny spots on her arms and legs, and several other small blisters on her feet. The blisters look like second-degree burns, mostly clear fluid inside, though some did contain a bloody mix. She’s presently on two antibiotics and an antiviral as a precaution. Anybody seen anything like this before?

Photos of her fingers are available here. The finger is coated with ointment.

http://www.hoganconsulting.com/finger1.jpg
http://www.hoganconsulting.com/finger2.jpg
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:50 pm

User avatar Hello Mikefusion,

I'm sure your pediatric team is probably already thinking about the things I can think of. I suspect the antibiotics are to cover a possible infection with a bacteria such as staph or strep that produce toxins disrupting the skin and causing blisters. The antiviral is probably to cover an infection from herpes since this virus can produce blisters and can be dangerous.

If there are blisters in other places a diagnosis of epidermolysis bulllosa may be possible. In addition to your pediatric team, an infectious disease consult and a dermatology consult may be helpful if they are available.

Best wishes and I hope you are able to figure this out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here