News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 12 year old haveing Abdominal pain for 3 1/2 days

TSlavens - Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:50 am

My son came home from friends house on Monday night saying that he was having abdominal pain. He had been swimming and out in the sun all day also ate while he was there. I didn't think alot about it at the time. We are going on three days now and he is still complaining. Not all the time just off and on. He has not been eating all that much and is not running a temp. He is still exercising like he normally does.
He has taken some stool softner also, as of yet he has not "went".
Is there anything else that I should be worried about? and how long before I take him to the Dr.? Like I said this pain isn't all the time but seems to be getting worse over the last couple hours.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
Abdominal pain is very hard to diagnose at home. There are so many organs in the abdominal cavity that could cause the problem. Most often in a child it is bowel-related. There can be constipation which causes cramps. The child's diet may not have sufficient fiber content. He may not drink enough or exercise enough to keep his bowels working well.

Of course we worry about appendicitis so if there is no relief in a couple of days you should have it checked out. Viral infections are pretty much run of the mill and everyone gets them at time. They have to just run their course.

If he gets a fever, feels chilled or other symptoms appear, take him to the doctor.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here