News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Paternity Testing &Blood type

katebreeze - Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi there,
First I am sorry if this offends anyone but I really need a doctor's advice. I have been seperated from hubby for two months, during that time was intimate with an old friend, as was very lonely, and also was intimate with hubby. Hubby and I have since re-united...I am preganant I do not who the father is. We wanted to have a baby but now I do not know if it is hubby's for sure. I am sick over this-as now my marriage is in danger again. If I have the baby anyways how revealing will it be either during C section that the baby is not hubby's? Does a Doctor ever ask about the fathers blood type? When is blood type discussed if ever during childbirth? What kinds of things would reveal otherwise? Both possible dads have green eyes. Please advise. Again, I am sorry if this offends, but I really need some advice, and feel awful about all of this.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 pm

User avatar Hello Katebreeze,

In general, questions are not asked about the father during pregnancy/delivery. Depending on the mother's blood type, the baby may be tested to look for any possible antibody formation issues (known as A,B,O incompatibility). Often, at birth, features of the baby are indistinct and don't necessarily correlate with the mother and father.

If, mom's blood type is O, often the baby will be tested. If dad happens to know his blood type there could potentially be a conflict that would indicate the father is not the biological father. (E.g. mom is O and Dad is B, meaning the only combinations for baby would be O or B. If baby were A, it would indicate there was a different father.)

This can be a difficult situation. Paternity testing is available to help determine more definitively if you desire. Depending on your relationship and the openness of this situation, you may want to discuss the issue with your husband. Some couples decide not to test and to assume that dad is the dad without questioning it. I certainly am in no position to offer advice in this area, though, since the internet is very impersonal.

Best wishes. You may also want to discuss this with your OB.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here