News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Potential Dairy Allergy in 12 month old

tnt - Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 pm

My 12 month old son has been breastfed since birth. At six months, we introduced cereal and then foods. I have not excluded anything from my diet. About two months ago, he grabbed an ice cream sandwich and licked his finger. He only had a very small amount. He broke out in red bumps around his mouth, like little hives. They were gone in about 15 minutes and appeared no place else other than around his mouth. We talked to our pediatrician and she said it would be unlikely for him to have a dairy allergy since he has been getting it from me in breast milk. I eat yogurt, cheese, and ice cream daily. Nonetheless, we decided it would be best to wait until he was 12 months to try any more dairy. Recently, we gave him some yogurt, two spoonfuls. Within five minutes, he broke out in small bumps/hives around his mouth. They again only appeared there and were gone in 15 minutes. Our dr said he clearly has some type of sensitivity and it would be best to avoid dairy until he was 2 or 3. The alternatives are soy or I guess I could keep nursing. My question is - if I keep nursing, do I have to exclude dairy from my diet. Again, he had no visible signs of a problem from what he ingests from my milk. But, I would think that if he was going to overcome the allergy/sensitivity to dairy, he would need to be completely free of it for an extended period of time. I'm a little apprehensive to go the route of soy just because there seems to be a lot of debate about whether it is truly healthy and he has the potential of being allergic to that as well. Please advise. He is now 12 months and 1 week old.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:33 pm

User avatar Hello,
It sounds like a mild dairy allergy since your eating dairy isn't affecting him. Most babies who are sensitive to cow's milk protein do fine with their moms milk and only rarely does the mother need to alter her diet.

If I were you I would continue to breastfeed the second year, in addition to the other solid foods your baby takes. This will also help prolong his immune protection that comes from the breast milk. A sensitive baby will especially benefit from this. Many children who are sensitive to cow's milk are also allergic to soy so again, breast is best. Most children do outgrow this however, as your doctor suggested.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here