News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: my twins always have sore tummies

trudi - Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:29 am

could my 9 week old twins have an intolerence to lactose?
they seem to always have wind and when they are not sleeping they are nearly always crying.they are hungry babies and put on enough weight each week but their bowel movements are mostly runny though not too frequent (twice a day) and sometimes green in colour they are also very smelly and almost greasy looking and a toch slimey sometimes.they also bring up half digest milk though not all of their feed maybe an ounce or two.these symtoms did not start until they were about 4 weeks old and i have asked my health visitor but she said it must just be immature bowels as they would be more ill and not gaining weight but i am not so sure.
hope you can help im at my wits end thankyou
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 pm

Dear Trudi,
Since they're gaining weight, then I'd like to reassure you that at least we're not dealing with something grave.
However, I was wondering, has there been any change in diet to explain this change in bowel habits at the age of 4wks, like the introduction of milk formulae, or changing the one used before?
Is it possible they may be overfed? Because then it would be natural that their bowels would be unable to cope with the extra feeding.
Also, do you or the father have irritable bowels, because kids for parents with irritable bowels may manifest as early as this age, and that may be the simplest explanation to their sufferings.
If so, try spacing of feeding and frequent eructation during feeding. Also, try laying them on their sides, following their feeds, as that helps release of wind.
If they are bottle fed, always ensure the nipple is covered completely with milk, so as to avoid swallowing of air.Check you use the proper concentration of milk formula, and that it's not too strong.
Finally, ask your doctor if it's possible to add some mild natural herbs for relief of colicks, as herbal teas or chamomile.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here