Question: my twins always have sore tummies

trudi - Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:29 am

could my 9 week old twins have an intolerence to lactose?
they seem to always have wind and when they are not sleeping they are nearly always crying.they are hungry babies and put on enough weight each week but their bowel movements are mostly runny though not too frequent (twice a day) and sometimes green in colour they are also very smelly and almost greasy looking and a toch slimey sometimes.they also bring up half digest milk though not all of their feed maybe an ounce or two.these symtoms did not start until they were about 4 weeks old and i have asked my health visitor but she said it must just be immature bowels as they would be more ill and not gaining weight but i am not so sure.
hope you can help im at my wits end thankyou
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:37 pm

Dear Trudi,
Since they're gaining weight, then I'd like to reassure you that at least we're not dealing with something grave.
However, I was wondering, has there been any change in diet to explain this change in bowel habits at the age of 4wks, like the introduction of milk formulae, or changing the one used before?
Is it possible they may be overfed? Because then it would be natural that their bowels would be unable to cope with the extra feeding.
Also, do you or the father have irritable bowels, because kids for parents with irritable bowels may manifest as early as this age, and that may be the simplest explanation to their sufferings.
If so, try spacing of feeding and frequent eructation during feeding. Also, try laying them on their sides, following their feeds, as that helps release of wind.
If they are bottle fed, always ensure the nipple is covered completely with milk, so as to avoid swallowing of air.Check you use the proper concentration of milk formula, and that it's not too strong.
Finally, ask your doctor if it's possible to add some mild natural herbs for relief of colicks, as herbal teas or chamomile.

|