Question: My 2.5 yo has fevers every 3 weeks.

wisconsinmomof2 - Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 am

My 2.5 yo has fevers every 3 weeks. The fevers range from 101 degrees to 104 degrees. They started when he was six months old. They happened a lot but we never really kept track of them because he was in day care and we kind of brushed it off as being around others kids that were always sick. I quit work to stay at home last October and I started to keep track of them. They came evey 3 weeks and he would be miserable. I would take hime into the doctor and they would test him for strep and then give him and antibiotics because it would come back positive. In June, we took him in again and they ran and ESR and Lymes test and the Lymes came back negative but the ESR came back as high. So to be on the safe side they treated him for Lymes but before he was able to finish his dosage he had another fever. I took him back again and our doctor suggested that we take him to and ENT because he felt that it was time to get his tonsils out. Before we went he wanted to run more blood test to make sure that he didn't have some other kind of diesease. They ran the ESR, Lymes, and a CBC. The lymes came back as negative. The ESR came back as high again and the lypocyte count came back as eleveted also. When we went to the ENT she basically wrote off all our worries about him needing his tonsils out because it is not possible for a child to get strep at 6 months old. And even though his tonsils are large and he snores at night, since he doesn't stop breathing at night then we shouldn't worry about his tonsils. Instead she said that she thought that it had something to do with his ears. We told her that he only had been treated for ear infection once and that was only because they couldn't find anything else that it could be. I didn't really feel like she took the time to really listen to me and tomorrow we are going to talk to another doctor to see what he thinks. I am just wondering what you thought that it could be and if you had any suggestions as to what it could be. I want to make sure that I am not jumping to surgery as a quick fix. What happens if he gets the surgery and then still has the fevers. I need help I don't know what to do.
Thanks for any input that you can offer.
wisconsinmomof2
p.s.- he has an older sister that is never sick except for once a year when she gets the common cold
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:04 am

It never hurts to get a second opinion, especially when surgery is involved. It is possible that a tonsillectomy (and adenoidectomy) will take care of the problem and if they are enlarged this is probably a good course. If he is snoring, chances are the tonsils are a problem even if they are not the only thing going on. But, the fact they have checked for other conditions as well is reassuring. There is no way to tell in advance if this will definitely cure him. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith if you feel good about the doctor's care.

I'm glad you are seeing another doctor, if only to make you more comfortable with the diagnosis.

|