Question: Bad fecal odor from age 12 till present

lola55 - Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:45 pm

I want to ask you about icv syndrome(Ileocecal Valve Syndrome). Does it cause fecal body odor? I am 19 and my problem started when I was 12. I take plenty of showers, wear deodorant, perfume, etc. but the problem is still there. Its driving me crazy. I am in college but I really can't concentrate. I do have pains in my left and right side a lot. Sometimes a whole part of my body will hurt from my shoulder to my foot to a side of my teeth. My legs also hurt especially when it rains but that's been happening since my child. My stomach is kinda big, like its malnourished while the rest of my body is average. I also get gassy a lot. I have been to a doctor about this issue when I was 14, and she told me I had IBS with constipation. I was too nervous to talk face to face so I am pretty sure she misdiagnosed me.I was pretty upset when I talked to her. I would really appreciative it if you could help me with any suggestion. I have heard of TMAU but I don't smell like fish. Does it sound like ICV? I would go to a chiropractor but I don't have health insurance. I've read that constipation can cause this but I don't think that's it. I have also had some extremely painful periods, they were so bad I couldn't walk and my period started when I was 12 so maybe there's a connection. Thanks a billion. I don't know when I smell because I can't smell myself but i hear comments practically everyday. I just want to have a normal life. Please help me.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks for writing in. Sorry about the delay.

It sounds like your abdomen has been distended for some time and there is a bad odor but not fishy odor...and no problem with constipation.

The question is what could this be and is it related to severe periods.

A thorough history and physical including xrays of the admomen and ultrasound of the pelvis would be in order...or abdominal/pelvic CT.

Possible diagnosis:
small bowel obstruction...cecal volvus (twisting of the intestine)
IBS
Inflammatory bowel disease.
All the pelvic organ disorders (eg PID, endometriosis, PCOS).

I think the first thing to rule out is a volvulus and can be done so with a CT scan.

Take care and Keep us posted.

|