News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Bad fecal odor from age 12 till present

lola55 - Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:45 pm

I want to ask you about icv syndrome(Ileocecal Valve Syndrome). Does it cause fecal body odor? I am 19 and my problem started when I was 12. I take plenty of showers, wear deodorant, perfume, etc. but the problem is still there. Its driving me crazy. I am in college but I really can't concentrate. I do have pains in my left and right side a lot. Sometimes a whole part of my body will hurt from my shoulder to my foot to a side of my teeth. My legs also hurt especially when it rains but that's been happening since my child. My stomach is kinda big, like its malnourished while the rest of my body is average. I also get gassy a lot. I have been to a doctor about this issue when I was 14, and she told me I had IBS with constipation. I was too nervous to talk face to face so I am pretty sure she misdiagnosed me.I was pretty upset when I talked to her. I would really appreciative it if you could help me with any suggestion. I have heard of TMAU but I don't smell like fish. Does it sound like ICV? I would go to a chiropractor but I don't have health insurance. I've read that constipation can cause this but I don't think that's it. I have also had some extremely painful periods, they were so bad I couldn't walk and my period started when I was 12 so maybe there's a connection. Thanks a billion. I don't know when I smell because I can't smell myself but i hear comments practically everyday. I just want to have a normal life. Please help me.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:09 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for writing in. Sorry about the delay.

It sounds like your abdomen has been distended for some time and there is a bad odor but not fishy odor...and no problem with constipation.

The question is what could this be and is it related to severe periods.

A thorough history and physical including xrays of the admomen and ultrasound of the pelvis would be in order...or abdominal/pelvic CT.

Possible diagnosis:
small bowel obstruction...cecal volvus (twisting of the intestine)
IBS
Inflammatory bowel disease.
All the pelvic organ disorders (eg PID, endometriosis, PCOS).

I think the first thing to rule out is a volvulus and can be done so with a CT scan.

Take care and Keep us posted.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here