News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: asymmetric crying facies

TATY18 - Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:03 am

My 16 month old daughter was born with this condition as i have just found ot 2 days ago through an eco cardiogram test. we knew she was born with a small ASD & have been going to therapy for facial palsy & it's been a long tough year for us as parents & for her in trying to figure out what was wrong with her mouth (lower lip). After learning of this rare disorder "Asymmetric Crying Facies" all i can do is wonder if my daughter's lower lip ever look normal or will it stay like that forever?? and if behaverial & developmental delays are associated with this condition that my 16 month old is also showing?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
Thanks for writing in.

Asymmetic crying facies (ACF) is a rare condition. It involves the depressor anguli oris muscle which is either missing or very small. The muscles of the upper face are normal so the nasal and eye expressions should look normal. According to medical literature, the condition is benign and over time, the facial asymmetry should improve. It is documented that ACF is associated with cardovascular abnormalities like ASD.

I have not read of any other associated abnormalies (eg hydrocephalus or cerebral palsy) which would cause developmental delay.

reference: UptoDate 2009, Tiffany M McGee-Garrett MD

All the best to you and your daughter.
 TATY18 - Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Thank you for your response & time. Yes indeed it is related to her small ASD & we have been told that MAYBE as she grows this condition may diminish but for now we are dealing with it, and i continue to give her therapy although she no longer receives this professionally, but as a parent i continue the same exercises at home with her. i have seen more movement to this muscle as she can now chew food on that side thanks to the therapies she received. So indeed we are faithful & hoping this will continue to hep as well as all the support we receive from family & friends & doctors like yourself. Once again i thank you for your time & response.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here