News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Recurring cluster papules on side

SG2 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I have a 3 year old daughter who has has 3 episodes of a cluster of ant bite like bumps on her side within a year. It's the same spot. She says her side hurts. I took her to the pediatrician intially. He said it was "staph", no cultures were done-no meds were prescibed. I tx her at home with hydrocortisone cream/ neosprin and covered with a bandaid so she couldn't scratch it. I feel it is viral. It will go away 5-7 days. The bumps will burst and her skin look shiny, red and inflamed.
 Jannah G., RN - Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 am

Hello SG2,

Sorry to hear about this, skin issues are never fun for the little ones or their parents.

If this is a continuous reoccurring episode, I would certainly have it checked more thoroughly. It may be viral in nature like you suspected, but if you are treating the symptoms at home and they keep coming back, I think its time to re-evaluate. Perhaps it is a bacterial infection and she may need the use of antibiotics. You mentioned that these papules have ruptured before, it would be a really good idea to have the practitioner obtain a sample for a culture, then you can know exactly what your dealing with and how to effectively treat it.

In the meantime, watch for fever, and good hand washing and try to encourage her to avoid touching/scratching/picking the area :) Easier said than done.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here