Question: Recurring cluster papules on side

SG2 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I have a 3 year old daughter who has has 3 episodes of a cluster of ant bite like bumps on her side within a year. It's the same spot. She says her side hurts. I took her to the pediatrician intially. He said it was "staph", no cultures were done-no meds were prescibed. I tx her at home with hydrocortisone cream/ neosprin and covered with a bandaid so she couldn't scratch it. I feel it is viral. It will go away 5-7 days. The bumps will burst and her skin look shiny, red and inflamed.
 Jannah G., RN - Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:35 am

Hello SG2,

Sorry to hear about this, skin issues are never fun for the little ones or their parents.

If this is a continuous reoccurring episode, I would certainly have it checked more thoroughly. It may be viral in nature like you suspected, but if you are treating the symptoms at home and they keep coming back, I think its time to re-evaluate. Perhaps it is a bacterial infection and she may need the use of antibiotics. You mentioned that these papules have ruptured before, it would be a really good idea to have the practitioner obtain a sample for a culture, then you can know exactly what your dealing with and how to effectively treat it.

In the meantime, watch for fever, and good hand washing and try to encourage her to avoid touching/scratching/picking the area :) Easier said than done.

Good luck!

|