News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 23 month old with swollen submental gland

boxgirl73 - Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:55 pm

with no sickness over the past month, other than a slight cold which was now about 4 weeks ago, and a cold sore (or chapped corner of her mouth that she keeps picking at) she's had no symptoms which would make me understand why she has a swollen lymph node under her chin. i noticed this 2 weeks ago when rocking her to sleep-and rubbed her neck. it was the size of a pea but to me it felt hard but i can't really tell...now i'm prodding at it since i've noticed it and can't tell if it's gotten bigger or stayed the same...at one point i thought it was going away....her cold sore came back within the past couple of days because she started picking at her lips again and now i feel it more......

i'm such a worrier of a parent....i have been online since feeling this. she has no fever. she is teething her 2 year old molars. could this be a reason for the swelling? i'm so worried of the 'c' word!

any suggestions?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:14 am

User avatar Hello,
Even though there are many different types of childhood cancer, cancer is considered to be rare in children. For example, in the United States there are only about 150 cases of childhood cancer for every 1 million children.

The fact that your child has swollen glands doesn't mean that he has an illness; just that your child's immune system is at work. Most of the time it is not cause for alarm and as your child has colds and other infections (even an ingrown toenail can cause a swollen gland) these will come and go. Many times you will not be able to detect illness. Even the gland itself can become infected and will usually subside on its own. Usually a gland can be moved a bit and is fairly soft.

Whenever you are in doubt, discuss it with your pediatrician at your child's next visit or sooner if other symptoms develop.

Raising children does bring worry. Try to relax and enjoy your child but it never hurts to follow your instincts about illness and behavior that is unusual for your child. That's what the doctor is for.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here