Question: 3yr old w/CHD..recently found to have murmur

bradensmom14 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:00 pm

I have 36mth old boy with a bicuspid aortic valve. This was found by echo only after he was having blue spells(which cardio doesn't think is related.) He has never had a murmur, which I know having one is usually common with this. But, he's never had a murmur. My question is a few days ago his neuro was doing his little check up and said aloud, "Wow, you really do have a murmur don't you." So, I'm wondering is this something I should be concerned about. Does it warrant a call to cardio who told me didn't need to see him for 2 yrs when he was dx'd. I just wondered is it possible that his condition is worsening or since this is something thats usually found with his defect, should I just wait it out. I Just don't want to miss something. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 pm

While some bicuspid AVs do cause a murmur, many do not. Since this is a change from the status quo, I would just call the cardiologist and inform him of the neurologist's observation. It may not mean anything, since your boy is growing and that can make things sound different periodically, but when there is an anomaly and changes are associated with it, it's usually best to have this documented. I doubt it means anything functionally, but it's still better safe than sorry. Besides, just as a standard practice, all changes in the status quo should be documented to avoid errors or confusion later on.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.

|