Question: MOLD AND MY BABY

sczock - Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:29 pm

My 10 month old baby has been sick for over a month and a half, with a chronic cough, sneezing, runny nose, wheezing, trouble sleeping and breathing at night and waking up frequently. He has been to the doctor three times and they finally gave him antibiotics four days ago, however, tonight we found mold behind his crib and moisture along the baseboard. Is is possible this is what is making him sick? What should I do? We have moved him to another room.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:23 pm

Yes, mold can cause symptoms and illness and should be checked out. Some mold is harmless but other types can cause serious problems. You might try calling your local health department to see what services might be available. If you have a landlord, it would be their responsibility to fix the problem. If you are a homeowner, you may should investigate the problem.

Sometimes, if it is mold and you are renting, the only solution is to move to another place. Businesses that do disaster cleanup do specialize in treating mold properly. I would follow up.

I can't say if this is the cause of your baby's problems - he could have asthma or some other chronic condition. Continue with your baby's doctor for proper follow up.

|