Question: 12 year old discharge in panties... no period

kizzie_va - Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 am

I have a boyfriend that has a 12 year old girl. She has not started her menstral cycle yet but when I do laundry, I notice discharge. To my knowledge she is not having sex either... what can cause this and what can fix it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:05 pm

This is called leukorrhea and it is normal, often occurring prior to the onset of menses. This would be a good time to talk with her about her changing body so she will be prepared and not afraid when her periods start. Thank you for your concern about her.

princessdiva1 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Hello, my name is Pamela and I am concern about my 14 yrs.old daughter which has her period now for 2 yrs. Sometimes it comes twice a month. My question to you is , is this normal? should I talk to her dr. about this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 am

This is very normal. It sometimes takes several years for a young woman's periods to regulate (some never do become predictable). This is the reason if a girl is going to camp it is recommended you send supplies, even if her period is not expected or she just completed it that month. It is just very unpredictable. Nothing you need to worry about.

|