News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 12 year old discharge in panties... no period

kizzie_va - Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 am

I have a boyfriend that has a 12 year old girl. She has not started her menstral cycle yet but when I do laundry, I notice discharge. To my knowledge she is not having sex either... what can cause this and what can fix it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:05 pm

User avatar Hello,
This is called leukorrhea and it is normal, often occurring prior to the onset of menses. This would be a good time to talk with her about her changing body so she will be prepared and not afraid when her periods start. Thank you for your concern about her.

Best wishes.
 princessdiva1 - Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Hello, my name is Pamela and I am concern about my 14 yrs.old daughter which has her period now for 2 yrs. Sometimes it comes twice a month. My question to you is , is this normal? should I talk to her dr. about this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:29 am

User avatar Hello,
This is very normal. It sometimes takes several years for a young woman's periods to regulate (some never do become predictable). This is the reason if a girl is going to camp it is recommended you send supplies, even if her period is not expected or she just completed it that month. It is just very unpredictable. Nothing you need to worry about.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here