News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Pea Sized Lumps in Neck and Behind Ear of 5 year old

PaMomOfOne - Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Hi,
In the spring and summer, my then 4 year old daughter had some very high fevers (104+) that came on without warning and she was extremely tired. Her doctor did a full blood workup and it all came back fine. About a month after the blood work, she seemed to pep up again.
About three weeks ago, she woke up with a scratchy voice. I looked down her throat and saw no redness. I then felt her glands and found a pea sized lump on her left side. Her voice went back to normal later that day and she had no other symptoms. I had a friend who is a nurse feel it and she suggested that I call the doctor to be sure. When we went to the doctor (about a week after I first felt the lump), he felt one on her right side too. He said that he wasn't concerned since they were both small, movable and not tender to the touch. Yesterday, I found one behind her left ear. We happened to have her 5 year appointment that day, and again, her doctor was not concerned. I love her doctor, yet am still scared.
Should I ask to see an ENT? Should I ask for blood work again?
Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 pm

User avatar Hello --

The appearance of prominent, enlarged lymph nodes is fairly common and normal in small children when there are viral or bacterial illnesses, even mild ones, and these are usually far less prominent as the child grows. However, they also can be indicative of some more troublesome problem. The doctor has observed the elastic (normal) nature of these glands, and so feels they are of no concern. If they continue to appear in more locations, become larger or harder, or if there are other symptoms, then by all means be more aggressive in seeking rule outs via blood work. Right now, however, I think it's probably safe to say the doctor is going with what is reasonable and normal for smaller children. If you are still doubtful, either insist on follow up bloodwork or seek a second opinion.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here