Question: One year old fell down stairs, knots on his head, why?

WesleysMommy - Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:29 am

My one year old fell down the stairs at my sister-in-laws house a couple days ago. It was nine stairs and they were carpeted. I called the pediatrician and she said not to worry about bringing him in unless he had any signs of concussion which he didn't. He was back to himself in no time. Well now a couple of days later, two little knots have developed on the back of his head. When you touch them they move. They are a little above his hairline. I called the pediatrician again and she said it's probably just swollen glands, and said not to bring him in. I didn't know that there were glands on the back of the head. If so why are his swollen? Is it anything to do with the fall? I hate to keep calling back to the doctor's office but I am concerned and need some reassurance. Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:09 pm

User avatar Hi there --

There are glands at the back of the head, and these may or may not be abnormally swollen, but also may have nothing to do with the tumble. Once something has happened, the natural tendency is to look closely at areas which may have been affected, thus the discovery of the bumps (glands most likely), which may have been right there all the time anyway.

Absent any neurological symptoms (odd behavior, vomiting, excessive crying, excessive sleeping, etc.) I think you can probably relax. Those bumps shouldn't be related to the spill even if they weren't present previously.

Hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed.

|