News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: High iron and saturation, normal ferritin

momsey - Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:18 pm

My 6 year old son has high serum iron (187), high saturation (62), low UIBC (115), normal ferritin (42), normal TIBC (302), normal CBC, normal CMP, normal BUN and Creatinine but high BUN/creatinine ratio (38). Normal T3,T4 and TSH, normal Phos, Mg, Cu and Zn. What does this mean? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:14 pm

User avatar Hello Momsey,

Before answering your question, may I first ask why were these tests drawn? Was there something going on or were they simply doing some screening? This will help me give you a more accurate answer.

Best wishes.
 momsey - Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Dr. Lowe,
These tests were done as a routine check-up prior to TD-DMPS treatment, to remove excess heavy metals, such as mercury, from my son's body. He is showing autistic symptoms (non-verbal, stimming, obsessive behavior, swallowing difficulties). Thank you for your reply.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:20 pm

User avatar Hello again,

Since these were simply "routine" screening labs, I suspect they are actually not particularly significant. In general, these numbers are more significant when there is an associated issue. It is likely that your son's iron amounts are actually normal from him. We base "normal" values on a bell curve so a percentage of the population will have normal levels that are outside the normal range even though not abnormal.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about TD-DMPS treatments so I would recommend you discuss this with your son's doctor but I think it unlikely that these numbers would be a contraindication to such treatment.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here