Question: Extremely clumsy..just started this morning..

bradensmom14 - Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:00 pm

This morning my 3yr old son woke up fine as usual about 15min later he told me he had a headache and didn't feel good. Said he was sick and wanted medicine. So, I gave him his morning meds along with some tylenol. He laid and watched tv, which is normal. Didn't say much else. After bout 30min or so he got up and went to play, walked about oh 6ft or so. He stepped onto this little skateboard, bout 2in off ground and next thing I hear is thud and him crying. Skateboard hadn't rolled or anything and our floor is carpeted so didn't think too much of it. Just comforted him. Well, after couple minutes I sat on the couch an he came with me. Laid on me for a bit then tried to get up again. Well, this time I actually saw him walk..He was wobblin all over, could not keep his balance. He has just been falling down all day. After him doing this for a couple hours I finally called his ped. who told me since he was acting otherwise ok and not vomitting to just watch him maybe he has ear infection and next time he complained of headache to ask where, that maybe he said head and meant ear. I know he doesn't have ear infection, and I asked him last time he said headache and he is
showing me the back of his head. I can tell he just doesn't "feel" good today I just don't know why. I can never get this kid to take a nap and he was out for bout 4 hours on the couch. I don't know if he fell because he was unbalanced or is unbalanced because he fell. But, he didn't fall but couple inches from ground but did fall straight back on his back and head. But, like I
mentioned earlier complained of headache prior to this. Doc says I shouldn't worry unless a new symptom occurs, like the vomitting to suggest concussion. I just don't know. I'm just worried about him today. The wobbling has gotten better but is still there a bit just not as bad as earlier. I just would like another opinion to what this possibly could be, is there anything else I should look for to indicate something else other than vomitting.
His health history includes..Systemic Mastocytosis, Eosinophilic Esophagitis, g-tube, bicuspid aortic valve, asthma, GERD, apraxia, develop/speech delays, sensory issues, dysphagia, hypotonia(face/trunk), hypertonia(arms/legs) epilepsy, also possible autonomic disorder, hypoglycemia & mitochondrial disorder(suspected) Too Many allergies and meds to list.. Thanks.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:04 am

Given your son's history of neurological deficits it's not surprising, from a strictly clinical standpoint, that he might have an episode of vertigo or, perhaps, loss of balance due to apraxia. However, two things stand out: one is the fact that this strikes you as unusual. You know your son's normal range of abilities and behaviors probably better than anyone. Also, he seems to be experiencing headache with this. Since he has numerous problems he is going to be more prone to new combinations of symptoms, and is young enough that it's difficult for him to fully articulate to you what's going on. While I can understand his pediatrician's casual approach, given the potential for this sort of thing to happen, on the other hand it concerns me that he doesn't seem to recognize your concern based on a marked change in what's been normal up til now. I think your son should be checked, at least; given an evaluation based on his baseline deficits. He could be suffering a simple viral infection with involvement of one or both ears, certainly, but even if that's the case there may be something that could be done to minimize the hopefully temporary clumsiness. I'd be aggressive in having him seen if this new symptom continues, even though he may seem "otherwise ok." I put a great deal of trust in the observations of parents (or others who live daily with patients). These concerns are rarely baseless.

I hope this is helpful to you. I have no specific diagnosis to suggest, but would suspect, at best, a virally mediated vertigo which could be treated symptomatically, but I do feel he should be seen.

Good luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

|