News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 5 year old stopped breathing seems fine now

bigguy 08-2008 - Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:43 am

my 5 yo son does not have asthma and has not been coughing. normal routine of not wanting to get ready for school this morning. suddenly ran back to his room. mouth open and tears streaming down face (no sound). he finally said i....don't.....have....breath.... very labored. he acted like someone had gotten the wind knocked out of them. this lasted for about 60 to 90 seconds. this has not happened before and he seemed fine 30 minutes later. he was not eating or sucking on anything prior to this incident. i am worried this might re-occur at school.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:59 am

User avatar Hello -

Your son should be evaluated for possible allergic problems, and, yes, the asthma he doesn't have (or may just hasn't had up til now). There is an often fine line between angioneurotic edema of the throat and the allergens which sometimes cause asthma.

He should also, assuming no allergic cause can be found, have at least an echocardiogram to rule out any possible structural heart disease.

Hopefully this thing never recurs, but as you've already noted, once something has happened, if we don't know what it was there is that off chance it could happen again. If it happens again at home, please just dial 9-1-1 so supportive measures are available en route to getting this thing figured out. Hopefully this won't be necessary and he can have the abovementioned workups done at your leisure. I wouldn't wait too long to have this explored, however. It's really not a normal event.

Hope this is helpful. Please follow up with us as needed. Best of luck to you both.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here