News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Seeking Answers for Mystery Childhood Illness

sister7 - Tue May 20, 2003 10:07 am

I am very aware that what I am going to post is going to sound strange, and it is based on childhood recollections. However my memories are very vivid and I have recently discussed them with my mother who confirmed my story. When I was very young -before the age of five- I remember being at my grandmother's house and going to use the bathroom. Strangely, I recall that my urination was painful, and found that I was passing things that looked like white shells about the size of an adults thumbnail. I know that I told my grandmother and mother, but I never remember being taken to the doctor. The strange occurence stayed with me for the next 18 years and after checking with my mother to make sure it was not an overactive imagination, I began to do some online research. I of course have not been able to find any information on "solidified urine in the shape of shells" which by the way returns some very strange results from a search engine. The only other thing that I feel may be important to mention is that I was molested as a toddler and thought perhaps there was a connection to that. It only happened to me once in my life, but I still am very curious what caused the abnormality...can someone shed some light?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 20, 2003 12:11 pm

User avatar I don't know of anything like that sister7. I would forget about all this if were you. The mind plays strange games with us sometimes. Sometimes things that we dreamed of are remembered as memories. If you find something in your research let me know. But I honestly wouldn't worry about this again.
Best regards.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 21, 2003 10:23 pm

User avatar Dear Sister7,

When i read your post, the first thing that jumped into my mind was that you most probably passed some kidney stones.

i can not think of anything else. If you wanted this further pursued you can have a urinalysis and make sure that you do not have too many crystals in the urine.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 22, 2003 1:24 am

User avatar Thanks Yasser,
Do you mean an inherited type of crystaluria? But how would it have resolved all by itself? Sister7 says it only happened during her childhood and didnt seek medical help.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu May 22, 2003 10:17 pm

User avatar Dear Tamer,

This is just the first thing that jumped into my mind. Pain with urination and passing hard things in the urine.

Kidney stones do not necessarily have to be secondary to congenital crystalluria.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here