Question: Recurring Reflux or Food Allergies?

Wagon - Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:56 am

My nearly four year-old child had reflux as an infant. She spit up frequently, and we were referred to a radiologist for the diagnosis. She was put on Zantac until about 9 months old, when she seemed like she had outgrown it. Now she has a chronic cough, and often complains of headaches or stomach-aches. She also gets a clear runny nose and sneezing, which we have attributed to seasonal allergies. She is currently on 4mg of Singulair once a day, which seems effective some of the time. Lastly, she has complained about her mouth hurting, usually when she is eating. We are beginning to think she may have food allergies, possibly to tomatoes and oranges, which seem to exacerbate her coughing. The cough has given us a scare- she couldn't stop one night and was wheezing, with a red face and eyes tearing. Her paternal grandmother is known to have several food allergies, yet my daughter does not display the gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting/diarrhea/bloating. She is always asymptomatic when we reach the doctor's office, and is otherwise very energetic and alert. We're very concerned that if it is a food allergy and we don't take action, she could have future, more severe reactions. However, is it possible that her reflux is back, and that is the cause of all her symptoms?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Of course food allergies are a concern. I would eliminate the foods you are suspicious about and monitor if things get better. Also, anyone can develop gastric esophageal reflux so it could be that as well. Asthma is also a possibility and may be related to allergies. It is impossible to say exactly so I would take her to the pediatrician with a good diary of the events, triggers, activities, and foods relating to her health - both during attacks and when all is well.

Diagnosing children can be very difficult of course.

|