News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: H-pylori and SIDS

jerlegg - Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:05 pm

My wife and recently had a baby. He is 1 week old and I have been reading up alot of SIDS. I found several articles where they are trying to link H-pylori bacteria to SIDS. I had h-pylori bacteria about 6 years ago and took antibiotics to rid it. I never went back to check to see if it was rid from my body. Does h-pylori have any connections with SIDS??? If I still have it then am I putting my baby at risk????
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm

User avatar Hello,
No, you are not at any increased risk because of your history of H-pylori. This theory has been mostly disproven by the medical community on further analysis.

In our hopes for a cause and cure for SIDS, we examine all kinds of factors, but this has not proven to be a likely contributing factor.

The most important things you can do to prevent SIDS is make sure your baby sleeps on his back without fluffy bedding, toys and pillows until he gets older. Use a firm, flat mattress and dress the baby in appropriate clothing to keep him warm but not overheated. Sleep sacks are good which keep the baby's body covered without him getting trapped in heavy blankets. Also, nobody around the baby should ever smoke any tobacco products as second hand smoke is another known risk factor for SIDS.

Tummy time is important for proper head and neck development so plan some play time when the baby is awake, especially as he gets a little older. This will encourage his neck muscles to develop as he tries to pull his head up off the surface. Babies kept too much on their backs, without break, and in carseats, swings, etc. tend to get flat heads so changing position is important when the baby is awake and hold your baby rather than keeping him always in some kind of chair or carrier.

Enjoy your baby!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here