Question: Glycerin Suppository for 8 week old

Randi036 - Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 pm

I gave my 8 week old son one earlier today, but it did not stay in. Can I try it again?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:53 pm

I assume you are using an infant suppository, but you should only use these if you truly have a constipated child. This is quite rare, especially in a breastfed baby. Some people compare the amount of stooling to others and feel their baby is constipated. There is a huge variation in what is normal for a baby. Some stool with almost every feeding; others can go several days. The criteria for determining this is the consistency of the stool. If it is hard, dry and pellet-like, there is constipation. If it is straining or passing gas, but infrequent and the consistency is soft and mushy, it is NOT constipation. You do not want your baby to develop a dependence on external stimulation, but to learn to pass the stool when the urge comes naturally.

If fussiness is your basis for the decision, the baby could be colicky or if you use formula, digestion is sometimes delayed. You can give baby simethicone drops for gas and try soothing methods for the fussiness. The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp is one book with some good ideas. Also, Elizabeth Pantley has written some excellent childcare books.

|