News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 18 y/o girl 5'1"198 lbs help with weight-suto tumor ceribrie

xelainea - Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:06 am

I'm an 18 year old girl 5' 1" and 198 lbs.
About 5 years ago i was diagnosed with suto tumor ceribrie. My father tried to figure out what was wrong with me for a long time because of all the symptoms i had. Eventually we found a doctor who knew what was wrong and i went into the hospital for a week.

After i returned home from the hospital i was prescribed a 250MG of Diamox to be taken twice daily. I would have a regularly 3 month check up to keep track of my condition. Three years ago I was prescribed to reduced the Diamox to once a day.
Then two years ago i finally was able to stop taking the Diamox completely. I go every 6 months with my doctor.

Everything has been going pretty good until about December 08. I was very tired all the time and seemed depressed. I never felt good and eventually stopped doing anything besides going to school and working. I never did anything with friends (before i was very social) Finally in February my parents took me to my pediatrician and i discovered I had Mono (for the second time, first time was a year ago December 07) I was told i had already had it for a couple months and everything should be getting better. I took two weeks off from work and a week from school to get rid of my exhaustion and make the mono effects go away. It took an additional week for most of my symptoms to leave.

During the time period of Jan 08 to jan 09 i went from 178 lbs to 198 lbs. I'm afraid i will soon start getting back my symptoms. I recently, in the last month or two, started to have headaches back and this stinging pain in my head that i had b4. I still feel very tired and it seems like i might be depressed. I have tried to get my weight under control for Years upon years. There is nothing wrong with my hormones or anything. I got that tested when i found out i had mono.

I get home from school at 11 so i have all my meals at home by myself. My main question here is their any meal plan that is complete. I feel i need a strict diet to jump start my way to feeling better. I know that at 178 lbs i am way more content with myself and feel better. Is there any thing i can do right now? I don't want it to get worse.

Help is truly appreciated and needed immediately.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:23 pm

User avatar Hello Xelainea,

I would actually recommend you follow up with your pediatrician again. I would suggest you have your thyroid hormone levels tested. Low thyroid levels can present as increased weight gain (despite "normal" food intake) and poor energy levels. It can also contribute to depression type symptoms. Pseudotumor cerebri has also been reported to occur with hypothyroidism.

Certainly eating healthy and moderately is important but I think, given your history, you should consider looking into some of the medical reasons for weight gain as well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here