Question: c'mon doctors!

elias - Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:46 am

It seems to me that people in this forum don't respond as much as everyone would like them to. Who out there are actually logging on to this site at all?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:37 am

User avatar Hi elias,
I can't myself give you advice about becoming a doctor but I will forward this message to one of the doctors on the forum so they can give you some sort of direction. I will however, respond to you as I have responded in the past about posts on the forum being answered. First let me extend my apologies to you for your frustration. Let me also say there is not one post on this forum any more or less important than another and they are answered just as quickly as possible and to the best of everyone's ability.
 elias - Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:10 pm

no, my apologies. I guess I expected too much. However, I see that everyone do have busy lives off and on. thanks for the reply though! I hope to hear from people like you more often~

Elias
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:42 pm

User avatar Hi elias,
If you are interested in pursuing a medical degree, you may want to inquire with the university of your choice and request information regarding entrance requirements, prequisites, etc. since these do vary to a certain degree with each university and geographical area.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:38 am

Dearest Elias,
Please, allow me to also extend my apologies. I am a pediatircian on the forum, but I'm not quite sure how I can help you with your choice.
Let me say that it is very difficult to describe a study program as better, as there are always differences in prefernces and what might suit you may not suit others.
However, what we can do is guide you along the way if you've already made up your mind to become a doctor, and help you avoid most of the bumps and pitfalls most of us ran into.
Please don't hesitate to ask over and over again. I know it can be very confusing at first.
 elias - Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:40 pm

awesome. Yes, there are three things I am certain of. First, that I love children (I've tutored kids for years), Second, I am at a JC working on my GE's. Third, I am dedicated to become a pediatrion. I have a question though, what kind of pediatritions are there? (I know the question is broad, I don't know how else to ask) I gotta start somewhere right?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:29 pm

Hi Elias,
Good to hear fom you! I'm glad you're interested in pediatrics, it's a lovely branch. And the best thing about it is dealing with kids. It can be a very tough specialty though, but if you love children, then you'll be able to bear with anything!
Now, there are different subspecialties within pediatrics. There are the pediatric endocrinologists, intensivists, cardiologists, hematologists, oncologists and more, depending on the different body systems.
Some prefer to remain general pediatricians, and when need arises, they refer their patients to the specialists accordingly.
 elias - Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:56 pm

interesting~ So I know that I have to take Ochem, pysics, bio, chem etc as my under-grad courses. Is there a specific subject I should give "extra attention" to? (sorry, I know I sound like I have no clue) :lol:
 elias - Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:57 pm

I am definately leaning towards being a general pediatrition~
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi Elias,
Chemistry, physics and biology are the cornerstone to any science, so give them all your attention, but of course, don't neglect the rest. This is a stage in your life where you start to build up a character, and the more you read in any subject, the more outstanding and knowledgeable you'll be.
Also, stick to community work that involves disabled children and children with special disease conditions. It'll give you some idea about pediatrics.
Hold on to that dream, and good luck!
 elias - Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:00 am

thanks a lot :)

|