Question: gasping for breath

dash - Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 pm

My 10 1/2 year old son recently had a throat and ear infection which cleared with antibiotics. Then he developed a chest infection which x-rays showed mucus in the bronchials. He was given a nebulizer, fluicimal sachets and zithromax syrup.
The coughing stopped and he seemed fine now however he wakes in the night gasping for breath. He is unable to catch his breath and he is also unaware he is doing it.
In the morning I ask him if he remembers and he says no.
He is sleeping with me as my husband is away I'm terrified this will happen when he returns to his own bed and he may choke or I will find him unconcious or worse.
Any ideas or diognosis would be great .I live in Indonesia and have a problem with the doctor's take on things they wanted to test him for TB. Which is silly I thought.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Distraught Mom.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:16 pm

User avatar Hello Dash,

When I hear of children who cough and have trouble breathing at night, it makes me concerned for asthma. I would strongly recommend you talk with your doctor about this and consider having you son evaluated for other asthma symptoms.

|