Question: 3 yr old girl w/occasional blood drops on stool

shopab - Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am

My daughter is 42 pounds and 3 feet 3 inches tall. Since she was around 18 months old, I have noticed that on occasion she will have a few drops of bright, thick blood (that sometimes looks like it may have clear mucus mixed with it) on her stool or in the toilet after a bowel movement. Many times she has no stool on her bottom, only traces of the bloody mucus. The bowel movements are not unusually large or firm. She never complains about pain or constipation. She has always taken her time about having a bowel movement. The first 1-2 minutes are spent passing the stool and the next 5 minutes she spends on the toilet after she has passed the stool. She says she's not finished yet, but rarely does anything extra. This occurs every 2-3 months during one bowel movement and sometimes on the following bowel movement as well, but never more than that. Her bowel movements otherwise are every day to every other day and normal.

Her pediatrician at the time said there was nothing to be concerned about, but he only felt of her stomach and said everything felt fine. I don't want her to have to go thru any unnecessary testing. She is a very healthy, active child. Her medical history includes only one bout of stomach flu, a few runny noses, and one urinary tract infection when she was about 12 months old. The only family history of gastroentestinal problems is her maternal great-grandmother who was diagnosed with diverticulitis at the age of 65.

Should I be concerned or follow my pediatrician's lead and trust that it's not serious?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 am

One fairly common cause of bleeding during defecation in the pediatric age group is a rectal polyp (usually solitary-histologically, a hyperplastic polyp which is entirely benign).If diagnosed during childhood, surgical removal is the treatment of choice.If it happens to persist through childhood or into adulthood and if large enough (in theory), it can be expected to cause a sensation of incomplete bowel evacuation.It may be worth ruling out.Please consult a surgeon to exclude this possibility.Good luck!

|