News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 3 yr old girl w/occasional blood drops on stool

shopab - Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am

My daughter is 42 pounds and 3 feet 3 inches tall. Since she was around 18 months old, I have noticed that on occasion she will have a few drops of bright, thick blood (that sometimes looks like it may have clear mucus mixed with it) on her stool or in the toilet after a bowel movement. Many times she has no stool on her bottom, only traces of the bloody mucus. The bowel movements are not unusually large or firm. She never complains about pain or constipation. She has always taken her time about having a bowel movement. The first 1-2 minutes are spent passing the stool and the next 5 minutes she spends on the toilet after she has passed the stool. She says she's not finished yet, but rarely does anything extra. This occurs every 2-3 months during one bowel movement and sometimes on the following bowel movement as well, but never more than that. Her bowel movements otherwise are every day to every other day and normal.

Her pediatrician at the time said there was nothing to be concerned about, but he only felt of her stomach and said everything felt fine. I don't want her to have to go thru any unnecessary testing. She is a very healthy, active child. Her medical history includes only one bout of stomach flu, a few runny noses, and one urinary tract infection when she was about 12 months old. The only family history of gastroentestinal problems is her maternal great-grandmother who was diagnosed with diverticulitis at the age of 65.

Should I be concerned or follow my pediatrician's lead and trust that it's not serious?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:21 am

User avatar Hi,
One fairly common cause of bleeding during defecation in the pediatric age group is a rectal polyp (usually solitary-histologically, a hyperplastic polyp which is entirely benign).If diagnosed during childhood, surgical removal is the treatment of choice.If it happens to persist through childhood or into adulthood and if large enough (in theory), it can be expected to cause a sensation of incomplete bowel evacuation.It may be worth ruling out.Please consult a surgeon to exclude this possibility.Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here