Question: sprained ankle?

erm - Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:51 am

hi
im 15 and on dec 17 i fell down a gutter and hurt my foot. it swelled up and went blue/purple. i went to emergency where they took xrays but said it was a sprained ankle. it is now the 23 jan and there is still a pretty big lump on the side of my foot, it still bruises sometimes and is still painfull to move (although it is not to bad to walk on). its quite painfull and i want to get back into playing netball but it hurts too much. what do u think is wrong with it? please help
thanks heaps
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:12 pm

Dear erm,
Ankle sprains could take a while to heal, and it depends on how badly your muscle tendons were injured. The presence of a lump could be due to a hematoma (collection of blood) as a result of broken blood vessels from the injury.
Have your doctor take a second look, and if you're reassured then just avoid straining it too much, because that could even prolong the period of heeling. If you feel like working out, swimming would be a suitable sport for the time being, as it provides a sort of physiotherapy to your ankle as well.
I know elastic bandages could be annoying, but it really helps avoid any further injury to the already weakened tendons. Also, try to elevate your foot whenever possible.
 erm - Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:58 am

hi,
thanks for the reply
i have tried swimming but it just seems to swell up more and cause more pain. is this good or bad for it? i want to get fit so i am right to play netball but don't know how. do you think it is possible that it will need surgery for it to regain its full strength and mobility?
thankx
elly
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:29 pm

Hi Elly,
It seems to me your ankle is still vulnerable to reinjury, and this is what happens every time you try working out.
I believe you need proper rehabilitation and physiotherapy by a specialist before you resume your usual activities.
Recurrent ankle injuries are more likely in patients who have not undergone complete rehabilitation, and if after 9-12 months of adequate rehab there is still some residual instability in the ankle, surgery may then be considered.
 erm - Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:04 am

hi
thanks for your replies. i went to see a well known massage therapist yesterday and he said that i had jammed tendons from spraining it, and also crossed ligaments. what do you think? he 'unjammed' the tendons and 'uncrossed' the ligaments and today it all seems pretty good. the lump and sweling has gone down and it feels much better. do you think this is all i will need to do to rehabilitate it?

thank you

elly
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:44 am

Dear Elly,
Well, your ankle could still be vulnerable to reinjury. However, there is a test for athletes you can do yourself, called "the five hop test".
While standing on the uninjured side only, you should hop five times as high as possible, then do the same on the injured side. If you can hop as high on the injured side without pain, then you can return to sports.
Try to take it easy and best of luck! :)
 erm - Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:09 am

hey
my ankle has been fairly good for a while, although sore after swimming and jsut a constant ache. yesterday i had netball training and i wore an ankle brace and fell over. i didnt hurt my ankle though. after netball it was sore and purple. my whole foot was purple and was estremely painful. today it is still quite sore and i am wondering if this is normal. also there is still a lump where is is sore
thanks
elly
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:19 pm

Hello Elly,
If your ankle still hurts, it could mean that the sprained ligament(s) has not healed right, or that some other injury also happened.
I know you may be fed up with the doctor visits, but I believe it essential if we need to exclude the above.
Please keep me informed.

|