Question: My baby will be born in 3 months, with a cyst in her brain!

michelangelo - Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:23 am

Hi all:

My baby will be born in 3 months, she has a cyst in her brain. The doctor said it is small and it is only one, so we should not worry. That's all information I have. :(

Is this the right forum to ask for answers to the related questions we have?

I do not know how small is "small". Next appointment I will ask the doctor for additional information. Should we stay worry free? Can a small cyst be inoffensive? Will it need to be removed? Will my child have a normal development? Is it possible that more cysts are developed? What can be done to prevent possible new cysts? What causes them?

Thanks for all the answers to some or all of these questions.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:30 am

User avatar Hi michelangelo,
There are multiple types of cysts. Did the doctor give you a particular name of the type of cyst? This would be most helpful with providing you with some information.
 michelangelo - Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:19 am

Hi Rntdj:

Thanks for your reply. No, unfortunatelly I do not have more information. I will need to wait until next appointment, it is scheduled for february 17. I will need to keep my ignorance and lack of information about the case for 3 more weeks!
:x
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:27 am

User avatar Hi michelangelo,
I will forward this post to one of the doctors on the forum who may be able to give you an opinion so that you will have some answers to your questions prior to your doctors appointment.
 michelangelo - Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:33 am

That would be great. Thank you again Rntdj. :lol:
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:12 pm

Dear michelangelo,
To tell you the truth, this is a bit confusing, due to lack of information! However, I'm sure if it was worth any concern on your side, your doctor would have notified you, or at least asked you to come in a little earlier to check it's not growing rapidly.
I assume that what your doctor meant by a small cyst, was an extra collection of the fluid that normally surrounds the brain to protect it, called the cerbrospinal fluid (CSF), into one the pockets (called cisterns) that lie within the different parts of the brain. An exaggerated collection of CSF into one of these pockets is usually no reason for concern.
Since your doctor isn't concerned you shouldn't be either, and next time you visit, try to find out more about it, especially the exact site and size.
 michelangelo - Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:59 am

Thanks Dr. Heba Ismail.

That's probably why it is. I will get the information next time, the doctor will probably give me the same information you just did. It is a relief to have some information about what it is. Now we do not need to wait 3 weeks to know more about this. Of course it's the doctor, who saw the R-x, who will now exactly about this particular case. I hope he will just need to provide the information he has. :oops:

One of the worst diseases we can face is the lack of information... :shock:

Thanks again. :)

|