News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Isoniazid and soy products (Boca)

scangel86 - Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 am

Hello,

I have a 16-month-old who had a positive PPD and now she is on INH for 9 months. We are vegetarians and I was reading that while on INH foods high in tyramine should be avoided, including soy products (tofu, tempeh, etc). The main protein in her diet is soy and I am having a lot of trouble finding things for her to eat without it. Cheese and tuna fish is restricted too, so mainly she is just eating pasta and fruit and veggies - which she hardly touches. So my question is, how important is it to avoid these foods in her age group and what is the risk if she does eat them? I have spoken with her pediatrician and she doesn't give me a definite answer - just says to give her the meds with carbs??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Shawnie
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
Isoniazid is best absorbed when taken without food. As for the rest of her diet, perhaps you could use more beans - pinto, black, navy, kidney, etc. are all excellent sources of protein and can be cooked, mashed, pureed, added to soups or other foods. Legumes are also good and peanut butter serves the purpose as well. Cottage cheese is also good. The recommendation is to limit cheese and fish; not avoid it altogether so these can supplement your child's diet. If you allow your child to eat eggs, this is another good source of protein. Small amounts of tofu should not be a problem but you should try to adjust it as much as you can.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here