News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Infant with salmonelliosis

insight974 - Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:44 pm

Hello and thanks for your service. My son, who is 2, got a salmonelliosis. We suspect that it was because of a small turtle he touched. It was severe and he was admitted to the hospital for one week in antibiotics (March 29 to April 4). All results in both blood and heces were negative when he was discharged. However, as a follow up we made some stool tests and they called me today that he is positive. We are very concerned and also someone told me that it could last even months. What is the treatment from now on then? Can he infect other people? WIll he be suspended from day care again? It has been already a night mare for us and him and now we are again in this.
Thanks very much for all your help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 7:42 pm

User avatar Hello,
Though this infection can be a real nuisance, most people are able to recover without medication, but may require rehydration due to the water loss through diarrhea. Sometimes infection spreads and antibiotics are needed. Your child will likely be excluded from daycare because it can be spread due to hygiene concerns that occur in a childcare setting. These kids are notorious for not washing well after using the toilet and if they get feces on toys, etc. that other children may "mouth" he can give it to others.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but it is important to prevent the spread until it is completely gone and your child's stools are negative.

Best wishes

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here