News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: My 3 yr old fell in toilet in public bathroom, Please help!

needtoknow2 - Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:46 pm

My 3 year old fell in the toilet in public bathroom. Can she get any diseases or infections? The toilet was flushed before her she used it and I washed her as soon as it happened as well as when we got home, but I am worried. This has never happened before. Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 04, 2009 8:39 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course toilets are dirty but chances are your baby will be fine. I'm glad she didn't drown - it happens. Hepatitis A is probably the most concerning infection that could be transmitted by the fecal-oral route. Signs of this would be nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, though quite mild in children. Use good handwashing if your child shows symptoms because this would be contagious to others as well, but it is usually something people recover from without long-term problems.

Most infections your child might have gotten would have similar symptoms in the GI tract. Chances are your child's immune system will be able to handle any germs she got. I know it's gross to even think about this, but if she doesn't show symptoms soon, I'd say she managed to avoid anything too bad.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here