Question: 2 yr old with Raynauds has unexplained fevers with heat exp.

rkaymomto6 - Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Hello Dr.
My 2 yr old was diagnosed with Raynauds at 1 yr of age possible because of a medication I was on while breast feeding. During that month she recieved her first set of vaccines which for some reason seemed to destroy her immune system. She had 3 ear infection in 6 weeks along with pink eye and the croup.Which none of my other 5 children had. Since then if she gets cold ,she turnd blue around her mouth ,nose and hands and feet. She also develops a high fever after being exposed to hot temp. And runs a fever for no app. reason throughout the year. Her fevers have gotten as high as 105.5. She has gotten several ear infections in the last year not counting the 3 right after her vaccine. She just seems to stay sick alot more than my 5 other children. She has never been tested for anything and none of our doctors(we have had several due to moving) have ever seemed concerned. But I feel in my heart something is not right. Is there something I need to be pushing to have her tested for?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 pm

I see you have many concerns about your child. I will try to address them as much as I can.

First of all, Raynaud's Syndrome does not have a known cause and it definitely has not been associated with any medication taken by the breastfeeding mother. I do not know what medication you refer to but it is very unlikely to be the cause of this disorder which is related to blood vessel dilation. This disease can be secondary to another underlying condition - another disease or thyroid disorder. Most doctors can diagnose Raynaud's directly from a description of signs and symptoms but if another disorder is underlying, tests may be able to help diagnose that. There is a cold-stimulation test that can be done in the office. There is no blood test to determine Raynaud's syndrome.

Some children do have depressed immune systems and seem to pick up every infection that goes around. In most, this allows their own immune system to develop and recognize future like infections with antibodies. Your pediatrician should address the frequent ear infections. There are vaccines available now to help reduce these and breastfeeding helps, but some children are very susceptible and require tubes in the ears to cure this problem and allow the ears to drain properly.

Mother's intuition can be a valuable tool in your child's health so if you feel in your heart that something is not right, bring a good, detailed description of her health history and infections to a scheduled physical exam for her. Explain your concerns so the doctor can check her thoroughly.

|