News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 18mo w/chronic sinusitus for past 10 months

karengm - Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:39 pm

I have an 18mo old daughter who prior to 8mo of age was perfectly healthy in all aspects. At 8mo of age she got a cold which of course caused her to have a stuffy nose. Two months later and several antibiotics later the nasal congestion had not cleared. We opted to have just her adenoids removed by her 12mo b-day. This seemed to be fine after her healing time (12/08). By the beginning of this year she got another cold which caused congestion in her sinuses. Since January she has been on Amox., Augmentin, Cefidnir, Rocephin shots, and is almost now completed another Rx. of Vantin. She seems to be cleared mostly, but there are times through out the day that I will hear a phlegmy sound when she is breathing from the nasal area. My doctor had said that she may need to be tested for a protien definciency. What does this mean, and is there something that I can do for her if the test is positive? Also I have heard of fungal alllergies, what is this, and could this be a cause for the sinus congestion? Please help I am afraid that all these antibiotics may be doing more harm to the overall health of her body.

Thank You in advance for your advice on what to do next.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello Karengm,

I would recommend you consult a pediatric ear, nose and throat physician. 18 month olds do have sinuses but not in the classic sense that we think of them. It is unusual for a child of this age to develop chronic sinusitis, particularly that would be so resistant to antibiotics. I am wondering if something else is actually going on. This is the age when allergic symptoms can begin to develop and can mimic a sinusitis.

Also, children this age tend to have anywhere from 12-15 colds a year (mostly respiratory and mostly in the winter season) so it can seem as if they never really get over the infection when, in fact, it is repeated different viral infections (which will not respond to antibiotics).

If there truly is a sinus issue going on, the pediatric ENT doctor should be able to help identify the problem and suggest a corrective measure. I am not familiar with the protein deficiency that your doctor is suggesting so I cannot comment on this. If you happen to have a specific name of a condition I may be more familiar with it.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here