Question: Breastfeeding will my baby have the allergies I have?

Melina0619 - Mon May 04, 2009 6:14 am

When I was born I was allergic to beast milk and formula and had to have soy. I am now 25 and if I eat too much dairy my stomach gets upset. I am 7 months pregnant and plan to breast feed. Will my baby have allergies too? Should I avoid dairy while breast feeding?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 7:08 pm

Milk allergy is common in infants. This is why cow's milk is not recommended. Breastfeeding is the safest course for your baby and it has been shown to reduce allergies because the baby gets the antibodies you have made. Chances are very good your baby will not have a problem but avoiding milk now has not been shown to be effective in preventing it in the baby. It is very rare for a breastfed baby to be sensitive to his mother's ingestion of milk products but if it turns out this is a problem for your baby and you notice excessive fussiness, you can always do an experiment by going milk-free for a few days to see if there is improvement. If not, it's probably not cause by your diet.

Most breastfeeding mothers can eat whatever they wish without effects on the baby.

It has also been shown that many babies who can't tolerate cow's milk based formulas, also do not do any better on a soy-based formula, so breast is definitely best! Try to continue for at least the first year of life, though you will add other solids (cereals, fruits, veggies) at around 6 months.

Congratulations on your desire to give your baby the best.

|