News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: child head banging

dhocking81 - Thu May 07, 2009 11:44 am

My three year old bangs his head to go to sleep, and also when he wakes up to put himself back to sleep. He has done this since about six months. It was never a problem before, but now he is doing it really hard, so hard he shakes my house. He crawls onto the floor, and bangs his head so hard I feel it in my bedroom. He is now leaving bruises on his forhead, and just the last few days has been getting bloody noses. I do not know if this is from the head banging, but it is really scaring me. I do not know who to go to, what kind of doctor, or if I am just being paranoid.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Tue May 19, 2009 10:57 am

Please get the child to a doctor ASAP. Banging his head like that could cause some brain damage/bleeding on the brain. Do not delay.
There may be an underlying problem going on also. It sounds a little like autism or some other kind of disorder. I would also be concerned that if you do not report this to a doctor someone may accuse you of doing this to him when they see all the bruising.
This situation is very dangerous. Get help now.
Debra Van Ness RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here