News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: How long should a fever last when diagnosed with flu?

sadie1979 - Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 pm

My son is 2 1/2. He developed a fever Saturday night, through Sunday, and we took him to his pediatrician Monday, who said he tested positive for flu. They sent samples to Atlanta to test for swine flu and were supposed to deliver results today, but did not. I am not sure if they forgot or if "no news is good news". My concern is my son STILL has fever. Should I worry? Should I take him to emergency room since his pediatrician is closed? Or is this normal and just something we will have to deal with. Please help, I am very concerned !! It just doesn't seem good to keep a fever that long.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue May 19, 2009 7:01 pm

User avatar Hello,
Since flu can last for a week or longer, fever can be present for a while. Treat it with acetaminophen; not aspirin and make sure he gets plenty of fluids to drink as dehydration can also cause fever. If it gets quite high or he shows signs of dehydration, confusion, lethargy, headache, refuses to drink, or does not want to be held and cuddled like most sick children do, he should be seen by a health professional since sometimes there are complications of flu that include bacterial infections and "traveling" in the body such as moving through the blood stream, into the spinal fluid which can cause meningitis, or the lungs, causing pneumonia.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here