Question: 2 month old with fluid filled lump on top of head

jessica78233 - Sun May 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Last night while bathing my 2 month old daughter, we noticed a fairly large 2"x3" raised area on her head. It is soft and movable, as if there is fluid of some sort in there (like a hematoma or cyst?). We had kind of noticed over the past maybe week that the back of her head seemed to be getting flatter, but just assumed it was from sleeping on her back all the time, we didn't realize there was a raised area above it giving it the appearance of being flatter. It is behind her anterior fontanel (which feels normal, no bulging).

There are no other symptoms to speak of. She is not irritable, eats normally, alert and cheerful. It does not bother her to touch it.

She is with me all day... no trauma or head bumps or anything else I can think of to logically explain this.... if she was newborn I would think caput or cephalohematoma, as it was a 27 hour induced labor followed by ceasarean, but two months later with no signs previously?

I have tried finding information online with no luck. I called a nurse line and they had no ideas (told me to call her doctor.) I tried to call her doctor last night, but they did not return my call (not very happy about that.)

Any ideas???????????
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun May 10, 2009 11:45 pm

User avatar Hi Jessica78233,

From your description, I would suspect this may be a hemangioma (a collection of blood vessels just below the skin). The location is a bit unusual for such an occurrence but hemangiomas can occur just about anywhere. These often will get bigger initially over the months to years after birth then subsequently involute and disappear. They are not dangerous.

I would, however, recommend you have this evaluated by your doctor to determine what this is for sure. I cannot be certain given the limitations of the internet.

jessica78233 - Mon May 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Thank you for your response.

I took her to her regular doctor today, and they think it is a blockage in her lymphatic vessels (after two doctors came in and looked at it.) Still no real idea as to the cause, the only idea they seemed to have was just simply sleeping on the same spot too much? Would something that simple cause that? And can anything bad happen from this or is it likely to just go away on its own?

At any rate, she is to go for an ultrasound at the hospital tomorrow. But any additional ideas anyone may have would be appreciated.

|