Question: lymphnodes

lmsellers - Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:18 am

My daughter is seven years old and for the third time in the past six months she has gotten swollen lymphnodes with nausea, headaches, backaches, neck pains, and legpains accompanied by a fever anywhere from 101-105 that lasts for 1-2 weeks at a time. She is treated with antibiotics, both tylenol and motrin for pain and fever and IV fluids and lots of liquid due to dehydration which treat the symptoms and the infection. Her Dr. also said after a blood draw in the ER that she has a low iron count but that everything else was normal. Three years ago she had the same symptoms along with muscle spasms and was in the hospital for three weeks. After monitoring and the same treatment as well as blood draws they could not find anything wrong with her, she just got better and was released with no explanation at all. It is still going on and I am getting worried. She also has gotten strep every winter since her second b-day. She also has a tendency for the past year to scream, moan, yell, walk, talk and cry while practically asleep complaining of pain and not making very much sense at all. It is hard to make out what she is saying as she screams and yells while putting pressure on a part of her body that she says is hurtting her. After 10-15 min. she goes back to sleep and in the morning she doesnt remember a thing. Other than that she has been very healthy. What is the cause, why is it happening so much, is it serious and is there anything we can do to prevent this or treat it differently. Please let me know if you know what is going on and what I should do about it. She is constantly getting sick and these scary awakenings at night are all worrying me. There is a a history of epilepsy, parkinsons disease, diabetes, asthma, low iron, depression, high blood pressure, MS, heart defects(not sure of specific), smoking for years of 1-2 packs/day by all family members, tumors, and cancer in the family if that helps.Thank you.
Lisa
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:02 pm

Dear Lisa,
We need to have an idea about her labs to get a clearer picture.
Also, did she ever develop a rash? What was the explanation given for the low iron? Was there ever an organism claimed to cause these infections?
It may be nothing at all, or it could something. It's going to be difficult to tell, but we hope we'll be able to help! :)

|