News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: problems due to past rheumatic fever?

biguglytoe - Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:32 pm

I have a 12 year old son who was diagnosed with rheumatic fever about 2 years ago. The chief of emergency medicine who first directly diagnosed and admitted him firmly believes he had the fever, but some other doctors don't.
He has since then had some painful red swollen joints that may or may not have rashes, and hives. He mostly has these rashes and hives are around his wrists,knees and ankles. The rashes can be tinyitchy red dots, or they can be raised, hot, red and highlty visible hives.
He has not been feeling up to par and has gained weight and has looked very swollen in the face and eyes. He is a very athletic and an active guy, but for the last month or so has been sleeping alot and is quite moody. He has also had more incidents of the joint rashes.
He was seen by our family doctor and throat culture showed no strep, but the lab blood test did, along with showing a low iron count. Since then (about 1 month ago) we have given him vitamin with iron and we have encourage good eating habits. He is still very sleepy, he falls asleep in the car and at others houses. It is so out of character for him, that it is really puzzling. When we visited the doctor, he had no signs of having strep, no fever ,no sore throat. So why would strep show up? Are these syptoms stemming from his possible rheumatic fever from years ago? He just looks so swollen and is sleeping so much it makes me concerned. Any information you could give me would be very helpful. Thanks
Angie
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:32 pm

Dear Angie,
Strep infection could sometimes be subclinical, with no apparent symptoms or signs.
However, I'm more concerned with the swelling and sleepiness. It could be a more than mild form of allergy, but, I would suggest you ask your doctor if he/she would like to rule out any kidney troubles first.
Also, is he currently taking any medications?
 NikkyLeClair - Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:31 am

I had rheumatic fever when I was seventeen, and his symptoms sound very close to what I had. I still have scars that show when I am in the shower around my knees. Hope he feels better soon. I know after I had it, I got my tonsils out.

Nikky, MA

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here