News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Hives

cin - Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:23 pm

My 7 year old son has had severe hives 4 out of the last 6 days. These episodes happened within 30 minutes of eating & drinking. He responded well to OTC Antihistimine and OTC topical cortisone.

He had his first outbreak 1 day prior to me taking him to our Pediatrician for a sinus infection. He tested negative for Strep but was prescribed an Antibiotic for the infection. When I informed the doctor of the hives my son had the day before he told me they were not related to the sinus infection. Also, I have not changed our laundry detergent. Consequently, I'm left to assume that the hives are a result of something he ingested.

Can a 7 year old suddenly develop a food allergy after never having had any allergies as an infant/toddler. Also, are food additives typically the culprit?

Thanks!
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:48 pm

Dear cin,
It is very unlikely that after all these years, your son would suffer an allergy to food he has already eaten before several times, unless new food has been introduced.
So, allow me to disagree that these hives are unrelated to the sinus infection, as the majority of cases are caused by a viral infection of the throat, nose or sinuses. It is very likely your son was already infected 1 day before the appearance of any symptoms related to the sinus infection, and that the appearance of the hives then, was the only sign of this infection.
 cin - Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:41 am

My son has hives AGAIN, 6 or 7 times in 12 months. He does not get them in the summer months. Sometimes they are preceded or followed by head colds. He plays hockey from September-May. Could these hives be an allergic reaction to hockey equipment/latex? How do I find out?

Thanks,
Cin
 cin - Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:43 am

Forgot to mention in the above post that my son also has vitiligo. The hives are getting more progessive as is the vitiligo. Any correlation?

Thx,
Cin
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:03 am

Hello Cin,
Allergic reactions and the source of allergy can be invesitigated and proven through several lab studies, so you ought to discuss this with your doctor.
And now that you've mentioned vitiligo, it is essential to confirm that the rash you've described is allergic in origin and not due to an associated autoimmune reaction.
 rachelg - Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:29 pm

Perhaps the hives are from a physical allergy. Cold urticaria occurs from exposure to cold temperatures. If the hives appear on exposed areas to the cold and go away upon rewarming, or soon after, then it is likely a physical allergy to cold temperatures; especially since they do not appear in the summer months. However, swimming in cold water can trigger the hives as well and extra precautions should be taken when swimming.

Rachel M. Groves, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here