Question: recurrent nosebleeds in 7yr old

Kazzy - Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:56 am

My 7yr old daughter has been waking during the night with nose bleeds. She used to get them frequently and on 2 occassions bled to the point where i called the hospital as she was starting to go pale. (the nurse said to wait a little longer and it did stop so didnt take her in).
She hasn't had them for quite a few months now but has started again this last week and a half. This week she's had 3 nights where she's woken in the middle of the night with a blood nose. One night appeared to be both nostrils.
Is it normal for a sleeping child to wake with a blood nose? She sleeps with her head slightly raised in bed.
Also (not sure if this is significant or not) she fell over a week ago and at first didn't appear to have any real damage done but ended up rushing her to hospital few hours later where she spent the week in hospital with grazed and bruised kidney and mild internal bleeding. Is she just frail?

Any advise would be great.

Thanks,
Kazzy
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:00 am

User avatar Hi Kazzy,
You may view my reply to you other post. One of the doctors on the forum has been alerted to your post for a more definative answer.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:23 pm

Dear Kazzy,
Nosebleeds can sometimes be frightening, but fortunately enough, they are usually not that serious.
As Rntdj, mentioned earlier, it could result from dry mucous membranes, causing the blood vessels to break, so you should be aware of that so you may humidify the air with a cool mist vaporizer in the bedroom, if possible. Nasal saline sprays are also useful.
It can also result from repeated trauma to those fragile vessels by nose pricking, or irritation resulting from a cold, so it's best to avoid these factors.
I also believe it is very likely your daughter has fragile vessels as witnessed by the minor trauma you've described that didn't turn out so mild.
If lack of humidity and trauma or irritation are excluded, or the above measures have already been taken with no improvement, then please seek an otolaryngologist. This does not mean she needs cautery, but you need someone to have a good look at the bleeders.
Also, if at any time she bleeds severely enough to cause her to become pale or go into shock, take her immediately to the emergency department!
 Kazzy - Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:02 pm

Thank you Dr. Heba Ismail for your response, and thank you Rntdj for alerting the doctor to my message,

You say you believe she may have frail vessels? is there anything i can or should do for her? She's usually generally well as far as illnessess go however seems to hurt herself easily (for example few months back fell in the playground and cracked both wrists). I've never had to worry about her as she doesn't get sick often but lately it seems that if she has an accident she "does the job well" so to speak.

Having 2 older sons who're very active and never seemed to do any real damage it's worrying having my daughter seem so accident prone and fragile.

Kazzy
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:42 pm

Dear Kazzy,
It could help if you gave her some extra vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C helps maintain the integrity of the blood vessels.
As for her being prone to accidents, there's really nothing to worry about, so long as she is growing well! :)

|