News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 15 Year Old Boy Circumcision After-Effects Question

Danny53 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:17 am

I have today had a circumcision, and i've come home and checked it out and it has been bleeding, it is swollen, parts of it have been "bleeding" pus, and my penis in general has gotten smaller, or so it seems. All in all it looks horrific and i'm terrified, I need to know when it will stop bleeding and swelling, and hurting while i'm walking, and if it will get back to its former size. Please help as I am very scared.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
Surgery requires a period of healing and what you are experiencing sounds like it is in the normal range. You do need to be alert for signs of infection, especially if you develop a fever or notice a foul odor with the pus at the site. Some oozing and bleeding is common and usually stops without intervention excepting slight pressure with a clean gauze.

Your size will not be affected. If your penis seems small now it is probably because during recovery it is best not to have any type of erection and your body is taking care of itself until you heal. The only thing removed is foreskin and there is nothing that happens in the circumcision to cause any other disruption to function.

It takes a while for complete healing and all genital stimulation/sexual activity should be avoided for about six weeks.

Best wishes for a full and rapid recovery.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here