News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: 14 month old with an epididymal cyst

Muscrat - Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Hello my 14 month old son was just diagnosed with an epididymal cyst. It was first thought to be testicular torsion so they did an ultrasound and it confirmed that his right testicle was fine but found a 4cm X 2cm epididymal cyst. They sent us home from the hospital saying it was not a serious condition and that that general surgery would be contacting us to make an appointment. I am just wondering if an ultrasound can clearly diagnose a cyst or if this cyst could be something else? I am worried that it may be a cancerous tumor? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:58 am

User avatar Hello,
Of course you worry about your child but the doctor is correct that these are rarely cause for alarm. Childhood cancers are actually quite rare but this is often the fear we have whenever something isn't exactly "normal." Try not to stress over it. Ultrasound exams are very good at detecting these and I think you can feel pretty confident here. Of course there are always exceptions but experience is reassuring.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here