News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: PLEASE HELP MY CHILD

jaime4297 - Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:01 am

hi all, i am really hoping someone in here can help me. for the past 2 weeks my daughter has been complaining of belly pain. the stomach flu has been going around so i chalked it up to that, well she finally did get what i think was the bug, on saturday night into sunday morning she was dry heving for 8 hours. Well ever since then she has been saying it feels as if her belly is full of cold water?
She is a very nervous child and seems to be VERY bothere by this, to the point where she can not sleep, and hardly eats. I have taken her to her doctor and she came back positive with the rapid strep test they have?? the weird thing is there is no complaint of sore throat? she did have a sore throat about 2 and half weeks ago, jsut days before all of this started.
i am very confused about this? i don;t know what the "feeling of cold water in the belly is?" could it be nerves? she is also saying the pain is localized right across the belly button area. maybe pulled miscle from dry heving??? i don;t know. I feel so badly for her, I hare seeing her so worried. she is only 7 and she is scared to death !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

please help
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:09 pm

Dear jaime4297,
There is only a 2% possibility that a rapid strep test would give a false positive result, so there's a narrow possibility she doesn't have strep infection.
It is common for children with pharyngitis/tonsilitis to present with abdominal pain and mention nothing of their throats. This may result from irritaion of the stomach from swallowed saliva mixed with pus, or from reactionary enlargement of some lymph nodes in the abdomen, called the mesenteric nodes.
I'd like to know what your doctor thought of the pain?
We usually don't pay much attention to the abdominal pain in such cases, but since the pain has lasted so long and she is unable to sleep nor eat, I suggest you take her back to the doctor or look for a second opinion.
 jaime4297 - Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:50 pm

thank you for your response, i took her to the ER yesterday because the belly pain was still there and this feeling of "water in the belly" was really bothering her. they did a rectal, urine, belly xray (not CT) and blood work. Everything was ok with the exception of he said her platlets were a little low? this is a concern to me. should it be?
i can not shake the feeling of some kind of cancer, lerking around in her little body. Any more suggestions? She is very worried still she said she has a feeling something is really wrong with her, and it is breaking my heart.
I am not certain what other blood they ran but everything else was good.
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:41 pm

Hello jaime4297,
It's always very difficult to watch a child in pain while unable to diagnose nor help, but I'm sure if the doctors who've seen her think she's fine, then she probably is.
The possibility of cancer is very remote, and I don't want you to start thinking that way!
As for her low platelets, how low was low? It is expected that the platelet count decline after some infections, so if it's on the low normal side and she's not bleeding, then you needn't worry.
Is she still not eating, nor sleeping? Has she lost weight? What about her general activities? Does she go to school and play with her friends, or is she completely bed-ridden? Could it be a stress-related situation? Is there anything that relieves the pain or is it just as bad all the time?
Hope I can help you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here