News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Pediatrics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Pediatrics Answers List

Forum Name: Pediatric Topics

Question: Flu: Temp disappears for a whole day

single_dad79 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 pm

Last week my daughter came down with what I suspect is the flu. Her pediatrician suggested I treat it like the flu but wanted to refrain from diagnosing. My daughter has ran a temp of 102.1 or greater since 10/21, with a runny nose, and loss of appetite/energy. However yesterday, 10/25, her fever returned to normal. Today she woke up with her fever returned but low grade at 99.2, and has vomitted upon eating her lunch. Her fever has reached 100.2 since vomitting and I'm starting to get concerned. She has asthma as well which concerns me about possible complications from the flu. My question is this, should I be concerned that her fever returned today after almost 18 hours the day before with no fever? It just seems weird to me and like I said I'm concerned she might be at risk for pneumonia as a complication of the flu.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:00 pm

User avatar Hello,
Of course you are concerned and I'm glad you are. The recurrence of fever is not alarming to me. These often come and go. Your child is considered contagious until she has been fever free for 24 hours without the aid of fever reducing medications. The reason they give the 24 hour cut off is to try and allow for some resolution of fever which is just temporary; not an indication that the infection is gone.

If your daughter has breathing difficulties, color looks gray or bluish, if she seems lethargic, very sleepy and not waking or extremely irritable, you should have her checked out. If it's just the fever, you can probably ride it out. Just watch for new symptoms.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here