Question: 7 year old with possible precocious puberty?

jelly19 - Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:47 am

My daughter is 7 and has had some signs of puberty since the age of 5. She developed body odors in the armpits and a vaginal discharge. She saw an endocrinologist at 6 and when she began developing breast. She had some blood work and bone scans, the blood test were slightly abnormal, though the bone scans were okay. The doctor opted for no further treatment, unless more signs developed.
The symptoms that have developed since then are, breast tissue has grown and areolas are large, small acne like bumps on forehead and nose, excess sweating, she has put on 20 pounds in one year and gets winded easily, she has 5-10 long dark pubic hairs, yeast infections, and she has been having mood swings lately. She has never been one to tear up over the slightest thing but she crys so much and seems near tears quite often, and other times she is so touchy and testy that she screams and gets angry over small stuff. I went through precocious puberty many years ago, and the emotional roller coaster of not being able to fully understand what was happening to me caused me emotional pain and low self esteem. Please help me figure out the best thing to do for my daughter.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:55 pm

This is a growing concern and environmental estrogens are suspected. I would recommend you either return to the endocrinologist or find another to get a second opinion. Treatment is available and it is important for your daughter's health and well-being. Definitely follow up until you feel satisfied.

|